Warning: Declaration of TarskiCommentWalker::start_lvl(&$output, $depth, $args) should be compatible with Walker_Comment::start_lvl(&$output, $depth = 0, $args = Array) in /var/www/snigel.nu/public_html/wp-content/themes/tarski/library/classes/comment_walker.php on line 22 Warning: Declaration of TarskiCommentWalker::start_el(&$output, $comment, $depth, $args) should be compatible with Walker_Comment::start_el(&$output, $comment, $depth = 0, $args = Array, $id = 0) in /var/www/snigel.nu/public_html/wp-content/themes/tarski/library/classes/comment_walker.php on line 50 Olle Linge - Languages, literature and the pursuit of dreams · To stay or not to stay, that is the question Warning: Use of undefined constant fb_admins - assumed 'fb_admins' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /var/www/snigel.nu/public_html/wp-content/plugins/facebook-open-graph-meta-for-wordpress/facebook_opengraph.php on line 252 Warning: Use of undefined constant og_type - assumed 'og_type' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /var/www/snigel.nu/public_html/wp-content/plugins/facebook-open-graph-meta-for-wordpress/facebook_opengraph.php on line 254

To stay or not to stay, that is the question

I try to avoid cluttering this website with minor updates on what’s happening here in Taiwan, which means that sometimes a lot of small things happen that don’t merit mentioning on their own. However, this week I received two important letters which have started the avalanche: I now have the information necessary to decide what I want to do next year.

This post will be very long since I have quite a lot of things I want to discuss, not only for your benefit, but also to make things clear for myself. As I write this, I don’t know what I want to do, but in the process of writing about it, I hope to learn more. For those of you who are interested, but not so interested that you’re prepared to read all of this, the situation can is summed up in the following paragraph.

I have two alternatives: going back to Sweden to continue with my teachers’ education or staying in Taiwan for an unspecified time continuing studying Chinese at one of Taiwan’s leading universities (and then go back to Sweden to complete my education). The choice can be reduced to only include one year (or even only one semester), even though the real situation is much more complicated.

Generally speaking, my situation is a lot better than Hamlet’s, because whatever I choose, the outcome will most likely be favourable; I merely have to choose which alternative I think is slightly better than the other. I haven’t decided what I want to do, and I’ll probably wait at least a week before I decide.

This is where you come in. Please know that I’d appreciate help here. If you think that my reasoning is flawed, or that I’ve left out something important, it might be because of negligence or due to missing information from me, but it might also be the case that my reasoning is indeed flawed. I’d be happy to discuss this with anybody and I hope this post can serve as a basis for any discussions pertaining to my plans for the future. I’ll now systematically go through the various aspects of this conundrum, discussing both advantages and disadvantages.

Education in Taiwan
Education is, together with economy, the most important factor. If I stay here in Taiwan, I’ll study at the Department of Chinese Language and Culture for International Students at National Taiwan Normal University (NTNU), Taiwan’s number one university when it comes to studying (and teaching) Chinese. I’ve been accepted to a four year degree programme, which is focused on Chinese language and culture. However, since this would be a standard university education, the programme also includes compulsory courses for everyone (much like the United States, but unlike Sweden).

The decision I’m making now isn’t to go home or stay four years, but rather if I should start this programme or return to Sweden. I always have the option of dropping out if I find that my decision to remain here was erroneous. This contingency plan isn’t as bad as it sounds, because when I’m here, I’m not very interested in the degree that will be awarded upon completing the programme. My reason for being here is to learn Chinese and I plan to use my teacher’s degree to find a job anyway (teacher is still what I want to be, I’m even more sure about that now than ever).

The education at NTNU seems ideal. Apart from pure language courses on various levels, later in the programme they also provide courses aimed towards teaching Chinese to foreigners (which is exactly what I would like to do with my Chinese when I return to Sweden, whenever that is). Of course, it’s difficult to know now if the programme is as good as it looks, but NTNU has a very good reputation among foreigners and Taiwanese alike, especially for Chinese language studies.

Last, but certainly not least, I love studying Chinese. I can spend countless hours on studying just because I like the language (70 hours the week I recorded). I do this because I love this language and want to master it. Staying here would allow me to take a big step in that direction, although it would be arrogant to think one year would be enough.

Education in Sweden

What about going back to Sweden, then? That would mean continuing my teachers’ education where I left of, i.e. after studying one year general education science and one year English. My next subject would be Swedish, for two years, aiming towards Swedish high school. This is something I look forward to, but I have checked with the responsible persons at the university and it seems like there should be no problem staying here for at least another year. There is a possibility that they will change the teachers’ education in the future, but I’ll probably learn about that well in advance; it shouldn’t affect my decision now at all.

Sduying in general
Staying here means that I extend my education at least one year, which means that I will graduade 2013; spending nine years studying mostly languages might seem like a long time, but right now I feel no urge to complete my studies and start teaching. The problem is that it’s very hard to know what I’ll think about this in the future. Of course, the years I add aren’t useless (I’ve completed all courses I’ve started, sometimes with good results as well) and should thus be useful someday when it’s time to start earning money instead of spending it.

How would my decision affect my Chinese? My language proficiency is improving at a steady pace, not so much because I’m physically located in Taiwan, but rather because when I’m here, I have lots of time to spend. If I go home to Sweden, I’ll keep studying Chinese, but it would have to be moved down several notches on the priority ladder. Another year of diligent studying here in Taiwan would probably make me close to fluent. My Chinese would then be at a level where it’s genuinely useful even outside teaching situations.

But if I like studying Chinese and want to learn more, couldn’t I go back after I finish my education in Sweden? Yes, of course I could, but it would be a lot more inconvenient than simply staying. I have a lot of stuff here, I know people, I’ve been accepted to a university. Besides, if I go back to Sweden, I might get tied down for various reasons, making it improbable that I would go abroad again.


Although I’m a bit hesitant to discuss my financial situation in public, I will give you the outline anyway. So far, I’ve managed to complete four years of university education in Sweden and one year here in Taiwan without borrowing any money. In Sweden, I work as much as I can and here in Taiwan I have a scholarship. My estimate is that if I’m thrifty, I might survive the remaining three years at Swedish university, still without debt.

So, how does this influence my decision? To start with, it seems likely that I failed to extend the Ministry of Education scholarship I have now, which would have removed all financial factors from this discussion. However, earlier today, I learnt that I’ve been accepted as a recipient of the NTNU Freshman Scholarship, which isn’t enough to cover my expenses here, but it will take me roughly half way. The money I would spend out of my own pocket would be half or less than I would spend in Sweden for an equal period of time.

This money I need to spend is probably the main deterrent in this discussion. Apart from the money I need to spend here, I also delay my working career with one year, further subtracting money. However, if anybody thinks I’m doing any of this for money, you need to think again. I didn’t change from psychology to education because of the lucrative labour market.

The social aspects of my decisions are complicated because they can’t be measured in any currency I know of. However, these factors are important and I’ll try to explain.

Firstly, my relationship with Vanessa gets better and better as time goes by. If I stay here, it’ll mean that I move to Taipei, but that shouldn’t be a problem since she has said she would like to take some courses (like once a week) at some university in the capital.

Secondly, right now I’m not exceedingly satisfied with my social situation. I have a couple of friends and acquaintances I cherish, but not very many. Why? Partly it’s because of limited time. When I first moved to Gaoxiong in February, I didn’t think this was a problem (it still isn’t, but it might be in the future). Also, I know that I’m leaving (for Sweden or Taipei) in one month and I see little or no point in trying to deepen relationships here right now.

I’ve thought a lot about the impact of language on friendship and love, and it seems like my Chinese is far from enough as it is now (I plan to write about this separately in the near future). This problem will subside as my Chinese improves and when I move to Taipei, it’ll be a lot easier to integrate naturally with natives since my Chinese is already quite okay. I wouldn’t like to continue the life I’ve lived the past months forever, but moving to Taipei would give me a good opportunity to change that.

I have no serious social reason to return to Sweden, though. I don’t want to imply that I don’t miss my family and friends, because sometimes I do, but it’s not a problem that needs to be taken into consideration here. Besides, even if I decide to stay here, I will have roughly two months this summer to meet everybody before I depart for Taiwan again.

Summary and comments
It seems like this boils down to a question if I think it’s worth the money and the time to stay here doing what I love, studying Chinese. It’s certainly possible to stay, but is it really such a good idea? I honestly don’t know. I’ve been thinking about this for months now and perhaps I’ve subconsciously already made the decision and only now is it beginning to crystallise in my conscious mind.

However, there’s only been a couple of hours since I received the news about the scholarship and I’m going to wait a few days to let things sink in before I even try to make a decision. In the meantime, I would appreciate any comments, questions, feedback or anything relating to my future plans. This is a very important decision and it needs all the attention I can possibly muster.

Tags: ,

  1. Jocke’s avatar

    Om du känner att du vill spendera pengar på att fortsätta studera i Taiwan tycker jag att du skall spendera dessa pengar; de kommer trots allt gå till något du vill göra och något som i mina ögon är väldigt vettigt. Det är inte många som får chansen att åka utomlands för att studera och du verkar uppenbarligen trivas väldigt bra. Jag sitter själv och väntar på svar om jag får stipendium eller ej och om jag får det tänker jag inte missa chansen att åka. Även om du redan varit utomlands ett år tycker jag inte att du skall försumma chansen att stanna, det är inte ofta sådana här saker händer och jag tycker att du skall ta tillfället i akt och fortsätta studera i Taiwan.


  2. walium’s avatar

    Jag svarar på svenska, eftersom det här är en viktig diskussion som jag vill föra på det språk som jag behärskar bäst.

    Jag ser att du som vanligt försöker utreda alla alternativ ordentligt och lista både för och nackdelar. Det må vara logiskt och förnuftigt, men jag tror att det här framförallt om vad som känns rätt. Du är en otroligt fokuserad, disciplinerad och välorganiserad person som inte fattar förhastade beslut. Oavsett vad du väljer så kommer det att gå bra för dig.

    Jag har följt din blogg ett tag nu och läser också vad du skriver i det här inlägget. Jag tror att det ligger någonting i att du redan, omedvetet, har fattat ditt beslut. Allt som jag har läst och hört tyder på att du trivs väldigt bra i Taiwan, att du lär dig oehört mycket och att du umgås med intressanta människor. Precis som du säger är det sannolikt svårare att återvända vid ett senare tillfälle än att stanna kvar. Även om vi saknar dig här i Linköping tyder mycket på att du helst av allt vill stanna kvar ett tag till.

    Men jag frågar mig också om du verkligen behöver vår hjälp för att bestämma dig. Kanske handlar det snarare om att du ska ge dig själv tillstånd att följa ditt hjärta?


  3. Caroline’s avatar

    De andra försöker vara diplomatiska, och även om jag tycker att de båda har rätt tänker jag inte vara det. ;) Utifrån vad du beskriver tycker jag absolut att du ska stanna. Den ekonomiska biten låter som att den går att lösa, lärarutbildningen förändras inte i en handvändning och jag tror att risken för att du ångrar ditt beslut är betydligt mindre om du stannar och ser vad den här möjligheten kan leda till än om du åker hem nu.


  4. Martin’s avatar

    Jag saknar dig något förbannat men likväl håller jag med Caroline. Det är dig du ska tänka på och inte mig.


  5. Svante’s avatar

    Ja, vi saknar dig hemskt. Men det du måste tänka på är i vilken mån den ekonomiska situationen kommer att påverka ditt välbefinnande i Taiwan. Om du får en bakomliggande otrygg känsla hela tiden är det kanske inte värt det. Det låter inte som om så skulle bli fallet, men att du poängterar ekonomin så mycket i dina resonemang kanske ändå tyder på något. Det handlar om hur viktig den ekonomiska trygghetskänslan är för dig, och det är svårt eller omöjligt för oss att kunna uttala oss om.


  6. Olle Linge’s avatar

    Joakim: Ja, alla borde bo i en främmande kultur en stund för att känna på hur det är. Man lär sig väldigt mycket och får perspektiv på saker. Jag ser det som en stor möjlighet att vara här och som du säger kan det vara en bra idé att ta chansen att fortsätta om det inte innebär för mycket problem. Stipendiumet innebär att det är betydligt mindre problem än annars, då ekonomi egentligen är det enda skälet att inte stanna.

    Andreas: Nej, jag behöver inte er hjälp att bestämma mig, men det är alltid nyttigt att få kommentarer från andra. Bara på grund av de kommentarer jag fått här (jag har fått många på andra håll också) har jag fått ett par nya sätt att se på saken och det är alltid värdefullt. Och oroa dig inte, jag kommer hem förr eller senare. :)

    Caroline: Det var ett bra sätt att se på saken, tror jag. Just nu känns det helt rätt, men jag planerar ändå att vända åtminstone en vecka och sedan bestämma mig. Om hjärnan och hjärtat säger samma sak då slår jag till.

    Svante: Det tror jag är lugnt. Jag har ju inga skulder alls nu och jag tror att jag kommer att klara mig bra även med ett år extra CSN eller vad det blir (det blir ju effekten eftersom jag tar mina sparade pengar och använder nu och sedan går på lån senare). Dessutom har jag möjligheten att försöka jobba mer senare i Sverige, vilket fortfarande skulle göra mig skuldfri. Du har dock helt rätt i att de psykologiska effekterna av ekonomin är mycket viktigare än de rent ekonomiska. Bra poäng.


  7. Carin’s avatar

    Det känns som nämnt tidigare som om du undermedvetet redan har tagit ett beslut.. Att du överväger att stanna tycker jag nära nog är ett solklart argument att stanna för så lång det tar tills du känner att du har fått ut det du vill av språket eller tills lärarstudierna lockar så pass mycket att du vill tillbaka till Sverige för det. Att vara färdig lärare 2013 låter väl fortfarande som en bra deal, du kommer få arbeta innan pensionen, oroa dig inte för det :)


  8. ingrid’s avatar

    Shit! Ok, här kommer väl det mest ovärda svaret. Jag har inte läst hela ditt resonemang, jag har inte tänkt svara på hur jag tycker du ska göra. Jag är dålig på att höra av mig och ger kanske inte uttryck för att jag saknar dig så mkt. Men bara av att läsa halva texten höll jag på att börja tjuta och insåg att jag saknar dig som en tok. Men har hört att du beträder svensk mark i sommar så hoppas ses mkt då. Och ok, klart jag tycker att du ska ta chansen att stanna i Taiwan sen, utan att ha läst hela ditt resonemang så tror jag att det absolut är värt det…


  9. Olle Linge’s avatar

    Carin: Jag tycker det var ett ganska bra sätt att se på saken och jag har inte riktigt tänkt så tidigare. Du har helt rätt i att risken att jag ångrar mitt beslut är mycket större om jag väljer att åka hem. Dessutom, om jag skulle ångra mig om jag stannar så har jag ju ändå möjligheten att faktiskt ändra mig. Om jag åker hem har jag knappast möjlgiheten att ändra mig och åka tillbaka (eller inte utan stora problem i alla fall).

    Ingrid: Det var väl värt en del att veta att jag är saknad hemma, om inte annat. :) Och precis som du säger, jag kommer ju hem i sommar (det blir drygt två månader, kanske lite längre) och då finns det gott om tid. Jag ser mycket fram emot att komma hem. :)